Rape Is An Occupational Hazard?

I watched a documentary film called "The Invisible War" tonight. What brought me to watch such a film isn't really important here. But as the film began, and as I heard the basic opening statements, I thought, "This is wrong, no doubt! Horrible. But, these women are walking into a male-dominated environment that has a history of female abuse. I just can't believe that they would subject themselves to sexual assault if they are scared of it happening." Please, stay with me. I realize how wrong ignorant I am in thinking this, but these were just the first honest things that crossed my mind within the first 5 minutes of watching the documentary. I said these words out loud to my husband who mostly had a similar thought pattern. Again, stay with me, don't judge me. It's all about to take a major turn...

I do NOT have any extremely "close" military ties nor do I have any family history to speak of. What ties I do have are males. I respect them, I do not think badly of any of them AT ALL. I have respect for any serviceman or woman, unless I know for a fact that I should think otherwise about them.

This blog was never meant to be about political issues nor to discuss any gossip or tabloid topics. That's not what I want to do on a weekly basis, there's enough of that out there as it is. But after watching this film about female (and, surprisingly a huge percentage of male) sexual abuse and rape in the military, I could not stop myself from writing about it. It's that powerful, guys. The stories and the consequences that these victims have had to go through is completely undeserving, unjust, unfair, and also mostly, unpunished. These women and men love their country and its people so much that they want to sign up to risk their lives for it. For us. When something bad happens to them, we need to give them our best to help no matter the cost. The timeless quote goes, "God, country, family..." This is the order in which most of these wonderful people place their dedication and priority. Thank GOD we have people like this, or at this point, America would be wiped off the map. Do you understand what I am saying here? I appreciate them SO much, and I'll never say that I don't.

HOWEVER... 

After seeing these numerous accounts of rape, violence, threats, and assault upon women and men who are serving in all branches of the military, I am seriously disgusted and disturbed. How can we ask anyone to risk their lives for us if we can't promise that we will provide a just system and appropriate personnel to look after them while they are preparing to go into a war zone? We can't do that. IT IS NOT RIGHT. Now, let me address my initial thoughts, since I've already strayed so far away from them: I had no idea that within the military, commanding officers are given the power to decide on whether or not to take further action when a rape or sexual crime (or any other issue) is reported (1). Also, most of the rapists in these cases ARE the commanding officers or higher ranking personnel (2). So, naturally they aren't going to nail themselves to a cross and admit to any wrong doing. They're going to pull their rank and threaten these victims with being beaten, mistreated, embarrassed, reduced in rank, or dishonorably discharged (3). So, 25% of rape cases in the military go unreported until the victims are no longer active (4). Also, there were TWO women on this film who were charged with adultery for claiming a commanding officer (who was married) raped them, even though neither of these women were married at the time. Absolutely insane. These victims have PTSD from their rape, not from battle. They are not taken seriously by Veterans Affairs because the issue was never properly reported to begin with. Either due to the victim being terrified to speak up or because of evidence or proof being "lost" or "misplaced". 



I've been upset about the way veterans are treated in this country for a while anyway. But this type of problem (or epidemic as the film calls it) is completely unacceptable. These people are committing suicide or trying to, anyway because no one will help them. These men and women are made to feel like it was their fault or that they are weak or cowardice. When in reality, its the rapist who fits that bill.

"A Navy study found that 15% of incoming recruits attempted or committed rape before entering the military. Which is twice the percentage of the equivalent civilian population." (5)   

Professionals on this film claim that the military CAN BE a potential hunting ground for "serial" rapists to exercise their problematic behavior. Because there is no legal system in place for these servicemen and women, any commanding officer can sweep a report under the rug, or make it seem that the crime was never actually committed. They are "in charge of appointing the prosecution, defense, investigator, they appoint the police force, and they are the judge. They own everything." (6) How terrifying is that? Can you imagine going into a workplace where you know that rape or sexual assault is a very high possibility, and then not being able to do anything about it? Would that not discourage you from entering that workplace? I know that I would definitely steer clear of it! As citizens we have the power to go to the police and report these crimes, hire a lawyer, file a lawsuit...whatever we need to do. These armed forces victims do not.  If I knew that anyone, a manager, owner, or trainer had THAT much power over me, I would not want any part of that career. Can you imagine if this is how restaurant workplaces, news casting stations, or teaching and educational positions were handled? There would be an uproar, as there usually is when any type of rape story hits the news or social media. Why don't we care as much about these people? Is this what we want when we are needing recruits to sign up to serve our country? Do we want men and women to feel scared or discouraged to serve a country that they clearly love just because we don't have the correct resources in place (or backbone) to keep them from being assaulted? Sure, there will be plenty of people who don't see this film or who don't understand (just as I didn't) how the hierarchy can be used against you in the armed forces when they sign up. I pray they never have to know this type of treatment or harassment because they deserve SO much better. 
(If you are interested in learning more, I'm listing sources for this information below. All quotes or stats came from the film or their website.)



We are better than this, America. I know that it seems like the world is going down the drain, and in a lot of ways, it is. But we can honestly do much better than this. How is it fair to prosecute a normal citizen and give him/her jail time for the same crimes that officers in the armed forces are committing, and then walking away without even a warning? At the end of this film at least 2 of the offenders were awarded promotions or medals during or after the time of these reported assaults. This isn't right. You do not get to do as you please and rise above the law just because you wear a badge and have served our country well. There are rules of conduct, you know? No one is above the law. Let's just keep that in mind. 



I don't know about you, but I'm taking this time to pray for those who have been affected by this problem in our armed forces. Just because they may have been let go from their duties which they signed up for, doesn't mean that they haven't given their all. I pray that they turn to God with their struggles and that they can find peace with Him. I pray that these issues will not haunt them for the rest of their days and that they can still hold their heads high knowing that they signed up to help our country and to be respected. The consequences of others actions cannot be placed on them (the victims). I know this was a long post, and I appreciate anyone who has read this far with me and who will eventually go on to watch the film. I think it's something we all need to see.

**Here's a few links that I thought may lift spirits or help those who have experienced this tragedy:

"It Is Well With My Soul"

"Praise You In This Storm"

"Man Of Sorrows" 

"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"


All my love (and respect),
Paige xo    

Sources 1-6  (and many used within textual reference) -http://www.notinvisible.org
This is a great one to learn more and get involved -http://www.protectourdefenders.com
Help Veterans however you can! - http://www.dav.org/help-dav/volunteer/volunteer-locally-help-the-va/

No comments:

Post a Comment