He Keeps Me Safe.

I'm not sure how many people know this, but I am a type I diabetic. And I have been for about 14 years. I have always struggled with the disease and I have always hated it. I'd rather sweep it under the rug than tell people that I am sick because I truly do not like to talk about it at all. So, I usually don't warn friends what to look out for if anything should go wrong with my blood sugar, because I feel like it makes them uncomfortable or hesitant to want to be around me. I feel like I need to explain how this disease affects me before I get to the point of this story.
When my blood sugar drops, it can be something that happens out of nowhere, or it can be something that happens gradually and I feel it coming. Most of the time, for me, it happens very suddenly and if I don't treat it quickly, then I have the potential to be in big trouble. Now, when my blood sugar runs high, that's a different story. I can generally feel those symptoms (blurry vision, aching back, excessive thirst, and irritable moods) and so I know to take insulin and drink water and it will all be okay. The lows are the scary part.


"Severe low blood sugar is sometimes called insulin shock. Untreated, it can be very dangerous, resulting in seizures, loss of consciousness, or death."

I was on the phone with my mom today, and I was telling her about a low blood sugar I'd had this morning. As usual, I woke up and it hit me suddenly and it hit HARD. My husband had already left for work, and I was here with the kids. Once I convinced myself to get up out of bed, and take care of myself, my vision was already bad. By that I mean, my sugar was so low that I was seeing things that were not there. It feels like things are coming at me really fast and then disappearing. So I close my eyes. Somehow I make it down the steps and to the kitchen to get a glass of apple juice, but by then things started to spin. I was getting very confused, and I was forgetting what I needed to do. This has happened before. And that time, I poured myself a glass of Coke and then dropped it and was walking around in circles when my husband came home and was able to help me. But today, I was on my own. I was starting to panic, and when that happens, I shake very hard and sometimes I begin to have a seizure. I knew I could NOT do that since no one was there to help me, and my son would be terrified if he saw me that way. I didn't have control though.




Suddenly, I caught my breath. Something came over me and really seemed to slow down my thinking and help me concentrate on what I needed to do to take care of myself. I grabbed the bottle of apple juice and began to drink it, while I sank down to sit in the floor so that my legs would not give out. I closed my eyes, I drank my juice, and I calmed down. Let me tell you: that was GOD, my friends. I checked my sugar and it was 32. The lowest it has ever been was 29, and I was in a seizure and not responsive for minutes. So, 32 isn't much of an improvement. I should have been dead, especially since there was no one there to help me. I should not have been able to come out of that because I was already so far gone. God kept me safe.




This has happened multiple times through my life, and even when I wasn't a firm believer of God and I wasn't building my faith, or trying to live through Him, I knew He was the one who kept me safe each and every time. He had to be, because nothing else makes sense. There is no reason why I should have came out of that state and been able to take care of myself, other than God led me to do it. He guided me! I can count numerous times that I should not have lived through a low and even a couple of high blood sugar episodes. But praise God, I am still here. He is not finished working on me yet. I am understanding that He has saved me for a reason. Probably because my boys need me, or maybe for a reason I haven't even considered yet. But I am so devoted to improving myself and living for God, because I owe Him my life. I owe Him my service. I owe Him my gratitude. I OWE HIM EVERYTHING. I will never doubt that God is in control and that God wants to keep us safe. We are His children, and as a parent I understand that kind of love. Everyday, I fail Him somehow, but He still loves me and has NOT given up on me yet.

All my love, 
Paige xo




1) Source: http://www.healthline.com/health/low-blood-sugar-effects-on-body

2 comments:

  1. Paige, this is so touching, you know where your strength come from..💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, ma'am I surely do know all of my strength comes from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete