Oops!! What to do when you over-salt your food.

Today, I decided to make a side dish that I have made 100 or more times before: mashed cauliflower. It's like mashed potatoes but minus the carbs! It's also delicious, generally...unless you salt the ever-loving daylights out of it! Which I did this time. Oops!!

I made salmon, mashed cauliflower, and fried zucchini and squash. Everything was great, other than the cauliflower! I killed it. Not in a good way.

All the pepper in the world wasn't gonna help me this time.

Somehow, my family managed to take a couple of bites of each of our helpings at dinner, but mostly, we didn't like it! However, my one-year-old loves to eat this stuff, so I made enough to last for a day or two. I didn't want to waste an entire head of cauliflower! So, I separated helpings into different bowls and decided to add different things to take the salty taste away. I had no time to go to the grocery store, so I had to turn to what I already had in my cabinets. Which was: NOT MUCH.

My first thought was to add more sour cream. I did that, and it didn't do much! Almost made it worse. So I got creative.
  • To one bowl I added, brace yourselves, baby food. The exact flavor was sweet potato. It was simple! I just opened a jar of plain baby food and mixed it in. 
  • To another bowl I added a microwavable bag of plain brown rice. This defeated the whole "low carb" purpose of mashed cauliflower, but I went with it. 
  • To the last bowl, I added avocado. I know, the color is gonna be weird, but bear with me. 
The common factor among all of these added ingredients is this: they don't have much individual flavor! They need salt, or garlic powder, or any other type of seasoning. They all actually worked out. My personal favorite was the avocado. But if you are not worried about carbs at all, the rice was a great option! Baby food was fine as well, but, you know...it's baby food. The baby food was actually my sons least favorite as well. He liked the avocado (one of his favorite foods!) So he clearly has a very sophisticated palate. Ha! ;)  

These additions are just what I had on hand, readily available in my pantry, so that's what I used. The key (in my opinion) is to just find the most bland food that you have, and mix it. Sometimes in soups, the suggestion is to add cream. In a soup that is fine because the texture is already pretty much a liquid. But in something like mashed cauliflower, I had to think a bit because I definitely did NOT want it to be runny...Ew! So these are the options that I came up with in a pinch! Hope these help! 

All my love,
Paige xo

No comments:

Post a Comment